5 Minute Stress Meditation
Compiled by the Patanjali Maharishi in the Yoga Sutras, the Fourth Limb of Yoga, Pranayama is the regulation or control of the breath. In pranayama practices, our breath is used to cleanse, calm, and strengthen the nervous system, and thus increase our vitality.
A mantra is a technique that helps to take your mind to a quieter, calmer level in meditation. Soham (pronounced so ham) is the Hindu mantra meaning “I am He/That” in Sanskirt. This natural breath mantra is present in all of us with the sound of “so” during our inhalation and “ham” during exhalation. Bring your awareness to your breath now and you will hear yours.
1. Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. A comfortable couch is ideal. A parked car or an office with the door shut will do.
2. Set your Cellphone Timer on 5 minutes. Choose a gentle alarm tone, I use iPhone’s Crystals (loud, obnoxious tones ruin the moment).
3. Get into a comfortable position, start your timer and gently close your eyes.
4. Breathing through your nose, take a deep breath filling your lungs with “So”.
5. Exhale “ham” through your nose.
6. Continue until you hear the gentle sound of your alarm.
7. Open your eyes slowly. You are now refreshed and ready to conquer what lies before you.